Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Everything was right on schedule until...

My countdown-to-takeoff has now reached 6 days and I'm really starting to feel the excitement. People ask if I'm nervous about the big changes to come but, really, I've been too busy to feel nervous! You see, until Monday, I thought I'd be able to use the next six days to pack up, move all my personal items out of the condo, and get things ready for the person who'll be renting it while I'm away. But then, just like the old saying, my best-laid plans went awry.

My tenant, a student from Saudi Arabia, arrived in Canada last weekend, needing the condo right away! Obviously, that wasn't possible, but after some negotiation, we struck a deal. My move-out date moved up. Instead of next Tuesday, it's tomorrow!

Fortunately, I'll be able to stay with my son until I fly out next week, but I had to cancel a few plans and rearrange others to make time for a flurry of last-minute packing and countless trips to the storage unit.

Two things didn't get chopped from the schedule yesterday. The first was a lovely, relaxing, lavender-scented massage at Nouvelle Maria — a gift from my son and his partner. Ahhh, bliss. (Thanks so much, both of you!) The second was dinner out with a couple of friends — a bon voyage treat for me. It was a perfect evening for street-side dining at Byzantium, one of my favourite Toronto restaurants. The peach Mojito was another cause for ahhh, bliss and we all had fun.

Now, with only 24 hours left to pack up and move out, all that relaxation seems like a distant memory!

Signing off and heading back to my boxes...it's time to fold all my beautiful clothes from La Crème in St. Jacobs [waves to Heather].

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello - Taking this means to introduce myself and to offer you a positive impression for your blog site, forwarded to me by my daughter, Carmen Call, the other day. Art Macdonald here with a dob of 4/15/33, and feeling a bit of a(domestic) expat myself, having moved here to Albuquerque, NM from Everett, WA this past weekend. How much of my past has been made known to you by Carmen is open, so I won't elaborate any further at this point. Leave it to say that I am fully sympathetic with the 'kid's' interest in working overseas, for however long, despite my missing them AND Kyra and Trey. Perhaps I'll do a blog at some point, but for the time being, if you would care to give me an email address, I'll stop by to say hello from time to time; my own is arttoo@myway.com. Meanwhile, all the best with your egyptian 'opportunity'.