Little did I know how much this journey would be so incredible...
The people, culture, hardships, history, and experiences have enriched my thoughts and life itself.
One would need to live here to experience the flavour of it all.
So much has happened that it has left me with little time to write...however...
"Time Out" and here is an update...
I am still fascinated by the way the traffic flows. Cars weave in and out, and you either brake or you hit! No seat belts and children sitting up front.
Hardly any traffic lights at all and cars go through the few red lights there are if there is no traffic. People "jay-walk" constantly.
On October 29th, my sister Ronnie turned 73 and I spoke to many of the family back in Toronto.
I recently received 2 parcels. Mail is exciting!!
A lovely frame and photo from Ronnie and other photos... as well as a Christmas present from a special friend. What a surprise!!
Thursday, Nov.2 to 4th I attended an amazing Conference. The Mediterranean Association of International Schools hosted by the school I teach for.
In my 30 years teaching, many of these speakers were in the A1 category! The theme was "Excavating Treasures and Building Pyramids in International Education".
We were treated to the "Sounds and Lights Show" at the pyramids - awesome!... and the finale - a banquet on "Pharaoh's "boat on the Nile- including a belly dancer.
Many days and nights were taken up in preparing and writing report cards. Wonderful!!.only 10 report cards to prepare. (At my worst back home, I had 66 reports to write...and all anecdotal
not computer graded!)
On Nov. 10th, I had a Tour of what is called "Garbage City". An extremely poor area where people live and some make items by hand out of recyclable material.
I saw paper being made with flower petals included;& Shopping Bags hand loomed out of scraps of material. A lady from the church was an excellent guide.
We also went to the Cave Churches. This time, I met the sculptor - a 39 year old fellow from Poland and actually saw him working. click on The Monastery of St. Simon the Tanner
I attended a dinner an a boat and there was a show including a belly dancer and Whirling Dervish dancers. If you click on Flicker you will see photos of these great times.
Which reminds me.... one of these days I will put captions under the photos.
I have been on several shopping trips and found my way to the post office.... more than once to the Khan Khalili ...one of the largest markets in the world
...with hundreds and hundreds of vendors all begging for you to buy. So much bargaining!
Nov. 15&16 was Parent Interviews or "Meet the Creature" time. My little darlings are a treat to talk about.
One of my pupil's nanny made me a large dish of Lumpia (a delicious Pilipino food) which I love.
On Friday, Nov. 17th we had a huge Thanksgiving Dinner at a teacher's home. Most of the staff was there.
This Thursday, being the American Thanksgiving Day, we get a holiday.
I am presently making plans to visit India at Christmas.
Off to write some Christmas cards...............
1 comment:
This post was worth the wait, Marilyn. You sure are having an amazing experience -- make that many amazing experiences. Thanks for sharing!
Cheryl
Post a Comment