Saturday, October 14, 2006

Evenings to remember....

On Monday evening, the whole school staff was invited to an Iftar feast at the Sonesta Hotel by the Chairman / Superintendent of the School. It was very lavish and a good opportunity to meet other staff members. There must be about 180 staff.

On Wednesday evening, I went with a group of teachers and high school students to the Sheraton where there was an Iftar (huge dinner after sundown during Ramadan) which was for underprivileged handicapped children. It was a most beautiful event. This was organized by a woman (Magda) who is unstoppable in making a difference in the world and especially Egypt. I wondered if she had taken Landmark Education courses which cause you to accomplish amazing things.

I was able to talk with her about my sister, Ronnie, who has Cerebral Palsy the same as her son. Her son is presently going to University in the States. He is 26. My sister who is 72 and will turn 73 on Oct 29th is living in a wonderful residence for chronic disabled adults, probably the best in the world. Magda and I exchanged e-mails. She has been able to obtain some of the most affluent sponsors in Egypt. She is producing a TV show with a message of hope and acceptance.

My teaching was observed on Thursday, and all went very well. In fact, the Elementary Principal was delighted with the progress of the children. They are so darling.

Slept 9 hours and had a bubble bath, then out to tour the Coptic Churches with Trish and then to shop. We went to a Korean Restaurant and then to the Nile Hilton where the items in the boutiques are so unique. Home now to get caught up on washes, e-mails etc...

Teaching is a demanding job at every grade level...so today I had a massage, manicure and pedicure!

On the way I saw some unusual sites....A woman carrying a tray of "pita" (that's what I call it) bread on her head; pitas made in an oven; and some unusual sweet dessert that looks like spaghetti. One thing I really miss is the "Ego" frozen waffles that you put in the toaster. Can't find them anywhere; however I found what looks like pancakes so I was thrilled.

Ginny has helped my sister Ronnie write me 2 letters which has been the only mail received so far. MANY THANKS. Ronnie XOXOXOX

Just learned that my granddaughter got a wonderful report card with amazing grades! ...Way to go Samantha!!! We will celebrate when I get home. Her class will be "pen-pals with the grade 6 class here in Egypt.

Well, it's Saturday night and my weekend is over so... off to bed to get a rest before the new week starts.

Thinking of you all.....

New photos of Cairo and my students have been posted on Flickr. Click here to view them.

No comments: