I asked the "Bowab" (fix-it man) to come up and check things. He couldn't fix it. So I decided to go to bed at 8:00 p.m., since the place was in darkness, and let the school know in the morning. (They take care of repairs.)
Well, a knock at the door at 8:30 p.m. woke me up. Two men (school engineers) were there to fix things). The "Bowab" had called the school. Remember, they all speak Arabic so not much interaction took place-even though they are asking me things!! The chief one had his small "heart patterned" bag with 3 screwdrivers!! and proceeded to look at the situation. Of course, they didn't have a flashlight so they used the 1" button light on my alarm clock to check things. Then said they couldn't fix it and someone else would be there in 5 minutes or a half hour. I said maybe tomorrow?? No, soon. So, I decided to go back to sleep as I know what time is for repairs!!
Well, at 9:00 p.m. I was awakened by a thud at the door and no less than 7 men including a security guard from the school were at the door. You've heard "How many men does it take to change a light bulb??" Well apply that to this event. Still no flashlight and working by the 1" light of my alarm clock. The main one fixed things so the lights would go on but I could not use certain items including air conditioners.
Today when I got home there were 5 men here and everything works but they need a company to come to do the final bit. They even had hammered away at the plaster to get to the problem. They all took off in a hurry to eat as they had been fasting for Ramadan.
School is as busy as ever. The first photo, below, is me with one of the students, making decorations for Ramadan. Next is a picture of the children having a nap. Don't they look adorable? It had been quite a challenge to get some of them to go to sleep but this particular day they all fell asleep. We were thrilled. Day by day things improve with their social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. We've gotten past the stage where one student bit a student and then the next day that student bit another one!!

Tomorrow, 25 of us are going to a Tex-Mex Night with music at a British Pub. Then it will be our weekend —Friday and Saturday.
Off to bed! Sweet Dreams..........
1 comment:
I'm still laughing! It probably didn't seem quite so funny when you were standing in the dark witih all those repairmen...but sure makes a great story! :-)
Post a Comment