Thursday, March 22, 2007

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! ...March 21st, 2007

Yes!, Yesterday was Mother's Day here in Egypt and it is one of the biggest days of the year.

At school, the Kindergarten classes had a "Mother's Day Tea" and the children in my class - my 3 year olds - sang 5 songs and did an Irish Jig.
"Brown Squirrel; Eency weency spider; The wheels on the Bus; My dearest Friend; I love you Mommy and the Irish Jig."
The mothers, grandmothers, aunts and nannies were thrilled...especially the mothers. Take a look at the photos. (My Shining Stars)

I received several lovely gifts from the children and they made a bouquet of flowers, a necklace, a Mother's Day card and their Hand Print for their mother.

I thought of MY mother - the best in the world...and my daughter who is a most wonderful Mother to Samantha- my grand daughter..

****** ONLY 88 more days and I will be at home in Toronto, Canada visiting relatives and friends for a couple of months.

Many THANKS to Art who put a comment on my BLOG. It is easy to do. Anyone can click on "comment"
below each update and you will see directions on how to leave a comment.

The latest plans are to go to Jerusalem at Easter. There are 8 teachers making this amazing trip.

April 24th I will go to a resort - Sharm El Sheikh on the Red Sea
- a place where they hold conferences and various international summits.
It is one of the top diving spots in the world - although I won't be doing that!!
One of the teachers has a time-share there.

Some parents have invited me to a Nile cruise dinner in April.

This week I received my Christmas present from my sister, Ronnie, which was mailed on November 26th, 2006 and arrived March 20th, 2007.
It had been opened and the Christmas wrap off and even the card opened and then sealed with Arabic message tape.
They must be searching for something as almost everything I receive is delivered the same way.
It was Tea made in Egypt!!!!...bought in Toronto !!!
I had a cup right away. Very delicious.
What a surprise!!
Then today I received another Christmas present from friends mailed December 7th, 2006 and arrived March 21st!!
Something is coming tomorrow.so it's Christmas in March!!!
As mentioned in my last entry, my Girlfriend from Toronto, Marjory, was here and we went on a Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan for 4 nights and 5 days.
It was wonderful! We visited many temples as you will see in the photos...The immense Temples of Karnak and Luxor. we saw the intriguing Necropolis on the opposite West Bank, including the spectacular Hatshepsut's Temple; The impressive Valley of the Kings; the great Collosi of Memmon and Tomb of Tut-ankh-Amun were very interesting.
We sailed along the river Nile to Kom Ombo to visit the temple dedicated to the Gods Sobek and Horus.
We continued to Edffu to visit the temple considered to be the best-preserved cult temple in Egypt, dedicated to the falcon headed God Horus.
Continuing on we visited the High Dam, crossing the original barrage over the First Cataract, and stopped to look at the magnificent and impressive unfinished obelisk.
Then on we sailed to Aswan where we saw opposite, just north of Kitchener's island, many tombs of princes, governors and other dignitaries of ancient Yebu.
We visited the Sofitel Cataract Hotel and saw some of the magnificent Suites. This is the hotel where they have a room that Agatha Christie stayed when she was writing the book "Death on the Nile" and also the movie was filmed there. Winston Churchill stayed in a suite there.
We sailed in a felucca (boat) to a Nubian village to experience life of the local people.
We toured the Temple of Philae and the marvelous Temple of Ramses II and his wife Nefetari.
The "Perfumery Al Hussain" welcomed us to the world of Aromatherapy. We learned so much about Essential Oils....and of course bought some!!
The next day we took an all day trip to Alexandria and toured the Citadel of Quatbay and the very modern Alexandria Library and Museum.
Added to this...we saw the pyramids at Giza including the Light and Sound Show; shopped till we dropped; saw Coptic Cairo and the first Synagogue; the Khan Khalili Market/Bazaar and saw many other highlights together.
Marjory was here for 2 weeks.
I have added photos of the trip.
Kevin and Winston will be visiting in October so I am really looking forward to their visit.
I went to an amazing evening of Irish dance from Ireland called "Reel Rhythm"..on Wednesday.
I enjoyed it. I went with 3 teachers from the school and we went for dinner to a restaurant that was around in the 1900's for dinner.
Recently I joined a fitness club at a swishy Hotel nearby. It is within walking distance.
Another event coming up is a formal Dinner in the desert near the pyramids.
I have tons to add to my Blog about my India and Nepal trip ...however will do a little at a time.

1 comment:

The Monarch Crusader said...

Hi Marilyn,

I was lucky enough to visit sharm el sheik (!) during the brief period that it belonged to Israel. And yes, I went snorkelling. It was risky and thrilling.

I was in church again today. Been there for about a month, selling theatre tickets after each service to raise money for our Pride float. I saw your son today, as I do most weeks.

carol pasternak